FAQ about Fish Feed Machine & Fish Feed

What is Feed Conversion Ratio?
Feed Conversion Ratio (FCR) is calculated from the number of kilograms of feed used to produce one kilogram of fish. The average FCR for farmed fish is close to 1:1.

How do I choose a feed pellet machine that is suitable for me?
Amisy offers two types of floating fish feed extruder. They are namely, dry type fish feed extruder and wet type fish feed extruder. The dry type fish feed pellet machine is better and economic for the small and medium size user and the wet type is suitable for large fish pond holders and feed pellet manufacturers. You can make the choice based on your need.

What is the difference between dry-type extruder and wet-type extruder?
The most significant difference is that the wet type needs a steam boiler while the dry type does not need one. Furthermore the dry type is cheaper than wet type. But the feed pellets made by the wet type extruder are smoother and possesses a better quality.

Can the fish pellet machine only make feed pellets for fish?
No. Not only are they capable of producing high-grade aquatic feed pellets for fish, catfish, shrimps, crab and so on, but they are also capable of producing pellets for cats, dog and the like, too.

What kind of pellets can be made by your fish feed pellet machine?
The size of pellet is based on the diameter of the die moulds. The die moulds could be customised with a diameter of 0.9mm to 15mm. Feed pellets made by these extruders can float on the water surface for over 24 hours. The floating time can be adjusted when the pellets are extruded.

How can I prolong the service life of the extruder?
Before using the machine, the raw materials should be cleaned up to avoid metal or other foreign objects which might damage the machine.The equipment should be kept clean.Pay attention to replacement of wearing parts. If the machine is shut down for a long-term, the extruding cavity should be cleaned to prevent caking, mildew or cross contamination of materials. This should also be done when replacing of extruded materials.

What kind of raw materials should I use in the pellet machines?
A significant majority of protein should come from aquatic animals such as fish, salmon, herring, krill, brine shrimp, plankton, squid, and plants such as Spirulina, Kelp, Spinach, Algae, Vegetable Extract, and not from protein add-ons and fillers such as soy, wheat, and corn products, which should be limited to no more than 20% of the food.

How long does the floating fish pellet float on the water surface?
The feed pellets made by our extruders can float on the water surface for over 24 hours. But he floating time can be adjusted when extruding the pellets.

How do I evaluate a feed to know if it is good?
Place some of the feed in a glass of water. If the pellets disintegrate or fall apart within less than 30 minutes, it means the feed is not cooked properly and the feed conversion ratio will be high. Also you can do it by looking at the color of the feed. If you can distinguish many different grains, then the ingredients were not ground finely enough. Also try some feed for some fish in a pond; keep records of the amount of feed given, the weight of fish at the start and the weight of fish at the end of the trial. Calculate FCR (feed conversion ratio). Multiply FCR with the price of the feed. You can compare this with the other feed choices. If the numbers are similar, the lower FCR is better because it will result in faster growth rates.

Does fish feed have a shelf life?
Different products have a number of different recommended shelf lives. But the shelf life will depend on how feed is stored and the temperature of storage. You should never store feed in direct sunlight or allow feed or its packaging to become moist. Cool, dry and consistent storage conditions will ensure a long shelf life. All recommended shelf lives can be extended by refrigerating stored feed.